"The little library that could"
It is the Mission of the Chase Library Association to provide excellent library services to its patrons, to engage the wider community of Harwich in Chase Library services, to build stronger bonds with the Town of Harwich and to preserve the historic nature of the library.
- Promoting the library as a community focal point.
- Identifying and meeting the needs of a changing population.
- Committing to providing personalized services.
Ruth Nickerson started a library called the Sunshine Club in 1905, and began meeting in what is today the Claddagh Inn. She was joined in her efforts by Salome Chase. In 1907, Ruth's husband, Dr. John P. Nickerson, donated a parcel of land, and Salome's husband, Col. Caleb Chase, built the present building for $2,100. The stove cost $31.45; paint for the walls, $52.70. The back room was added in 1953, with a bathroom and Children's area. A new heating system and storm windows were added with Community Preservation funds, and the original wood floors were refinished in 2013.